In my sociology class this semester, we have been discussing different aspects of the family, and how the modern family has come to be shaped into what it is today. One particular subject we have touched upon in this class is the role that the mother plays in family life. In the past, women have been seen as the main caregiver of the family—the person who stays at home, tends to the children, and oversees all of the tasks that help the household function. However, now, women are starting to branch out of the home and pursue full time careers. This fairly new phenomenon has inspired me to contemplate how I will balance my career with motherhood, as I eventually hope to have a full-time job and a family.
Out of a poll of the females in my sociology class, an overwhelming amount answered that they would also like to have a full-time career and a family. I think it would be interesting to research how women can juggle working while simultaneously nurturing a family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, speaking from experience, I can say that balancing family and work responsibilities is very difficult. It was when I was married and is now that I'm a single mom. I don't know that it is as hard for most men as it is for most women. I just don't know. I did read an article the other day that after divorce women carry the majority of the physical and financial responsibility for raising children.
ReplyDeleteI do know men though that are very involved in their kids lives and women who are not. So, just because there is a trend doesn't mean that there are lots and lots of people who don't fit it.
It is definitely interesting to think of this subject from the viewpoint of single, working mothers. I imagine that being a wotking mother is pribably much easier if the mother has a supportive husband, even if he is also working full-time. At the least, it is probably mentally relieving to know that your partner can also help out at home, even if you are both wokring.
ReplyDelete*Sorry, I meant to type "probably." :)
ReplyDelete