Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reality Shows

I just finished watching a reality show that made me think: are reality shows really a good idea? From the perspective of a viewer, it is easy to forget that the people we are watching are not following a script, but are letting cameras follow them around while they go about their daily activities.

Personally,I would probably go crazy if cameras were ready to roll when I wake up in the morning, go to class, hang out with friends, or just relax in my room. Some people say that reality shows give them exposure and help them achieve other aspirations, but couldn't it be argued that reality shows exploit people and encroach upon their personal lives? For instance, Jessica Simpson regrets doing the show "Newly Weds", as the cameras began rolling at the beginning of her marriage to her now ex-husband, Nick Lachey. Although the show helped Jessica's career, it also put a strain on her marriage.

What do you all think? Do reality shows exploit people and hurt their personal lives? Would you mind being on your own reality show?

1 comment:

  1. I think reality T.V. shows can hurt relationships. Because the people have very little privacy, they may say something they do not mean to hurt someone's feelings. Everything is caught on tape and you cannot persuade the camera people nor the network to edit their tape to make you seem like a more virtuous person.

    ReplyDelete