Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Going Random?

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend who was divulging the various problems she is having with her roommate, whom she was assigned to randomly. I am also living with a roommate who I let housing choose for me. Although my roommate and I get along, we haven't become the best of friends, and we don't see eye to eye on certain things. However, I have heard worse stories. I know one girl whose roommate has not done any laundry since they have been at school, and refuses to clean up after herself.

On the contrary, I also know people who chose someone they knew from high school or face book who are also having roommate issues. Then, there are those who went completely random and have grown close to their roommate.
Text Color

During my conversation yesterday, my friend asked me if I regret having a roommate chosen at random. Honestly, if I had to do this all over again, I still would have gone random (as a first year at least). I think that when people choose to go random, they are allowing themselves to potentially go out of their comfort zone by living with someone who could be completely different them then. Although it can be annoying at times, I think I am definitely learning a lot by living with someone that I didn't know before.

What do you all think? Is "going random" a good idea"? Will you pick a random roommate in the future?

4 comments:

  1. I have a random room mate and I get along with him fine. He is actually a pretty cool person. I think that when a person choses to go random they should know what they are getting themselves into because it could be very bad or very good. Overall, I believe that going random is not a bad idea as long as you keep your mind open and are ready for new things. You have to be able to adjust to the other persons living habits and they have to adjust to your living habits. I think that the room mates need to understand that they need to think about the other person in order to make their room mate relationship work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going random sounds adventurous!

    I have had lots of room mates in the past. Some I knew before I lived with and some I didn't. The drawback of living with a good friend is that sometimes living together can really do some damage to the friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baltimore 19 -- You are right. Both individuals in any kind of relationship must be willing to compromise for it to be healthy. Respect is key with roommates, and I think that when you are rooming with someone, you really have to be considerate of them.

    Miss Bowles -- I agree about rooming with good friends! Next year, I am living with girls that I know and like, but I was careful not to room with the friends that I spend the most time with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a randomly picked roommate and I have to say at times I wish we could have kept our old roommates in the summer. Eventhough me and my roommate don't have any issues there is still a lack of communication and i think sometimes respect. Common courtesy is something that everyone should have but I think my roommate misses that quality. If u bring things for your roommate to share the least they could do is respect it rite? I guess what I'm trying to say is that random roommate selectio is just that random. Some poeple get along with their roommate and some don't. I personally would have loved to choose a roommate from a list of people that i knew or that had the same qualities as me.

    ReplyDelete