Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stress?

Being a first year in college, it's oh so easy to let the stress of school take over your life. Over the past few days, I have barely done anything but study for tests, and I feel as though I just need one day where I can relax and not think about language conjugations, the different types of accounting, and what to research for various research papers.

Since I have been in college, I have found that it's important to take breaks, and let your mind rest from all of the processing it has to do. To my sup rise, I have started watching a lot more TV lately. In high school, I barely ever watched TV. I was never up on the latest TV show, but that never bothered me, because I was out doing other things. Now that I am in college, I feel like I actually need to watch TV. Even though television is not conductive to my learning in any way, shape, or form, I have found that it is okay to let myself mindlessly watch a TV show for an hour or two. Honestly, watching random TV shows has helped me ease my stress.

What do you all do to relieve the pressures of school work?

3 comments:

  1. Good question.

    I feel stress too. Sometimes I watch TV just to do nothing. I know of other ways to do nothing and get a lot more out of it - meditation, for example. Add some movement and stretching and meditation can be a form of exercise.

    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually listen to one or two songs to take a break from studying. The break of about ten minutes allows me to feel refreshed and keep my attitude positive and determined. I do not usually watch T.V. unless it is a Friday or Saturday. I agree with Ms. Bowles in that exercise will be an energizing way to take a study break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Bowles--I like to walk (or pace) around my room when I need to take a break from studying. It is really difficult to stay stationary for too long when I am not doing something that is particulary exiting to me.

    Janelle--It is great that you have enough discipline to only take 10 minute breaks! My breaks are usually thirty minutes long, so I am trying to get better at forcing myslef to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete